First off. Either I am severely out of shape or I really went at it too hard. But I am sore as hell. I prefer to think the later though. Wii boxing & tennis are as addicting as… well um… crack?
So after my initial ravaging of the Wii and a Wii Sports marathon, I got to thinking. How could I hack this puppy and do some really cool things? Has anyone played Chick-Chick-Boom? Probably one of the funnest flash games out there this year. And I am addicted. And did anyone notice? Its a Nintendo Flash game!
The point is this: We have a really cool user interface tool (i.e. the Wii remote) and we have easy access to create incredible web experiences (with Flash and Flex). I don’t know about you, but I stand at a precipice, looking down at the valley of innovative web experiences using these combined technologies. Remember Minority Report?
So here is my proposed game plan:
- Find out how the Wii remote works – done*
- Find/make a suitable conduit to facilitate communication between the Wii remote and a PC – done*
- Improve upon this conduit to make interactions closely resemble those on the Wii console
- Translate the information into something useful (i.e. an API) for a Flash/Flex application to utilize. Obviously if we develop a user interface to make use of traditional gestures like mouse moves, clicks, keyboard clicks, etc.. then we will have failed, But if you make use of the Wii gestures, then we can…
- Develop kick ass applications that make use of this technology.
* There are documents and some alpha quality programs out there already.