If you have found that you have a voicemail icon stuck in your notifications area on your Verizon Droid, then you are not alone. I just got my Droid this past weekend. I love it and it’s saved my rear several times already. But as a user of Google Voicel, I have found the voicemail notification icons are sticking in the notification area. Clearing all notifications does not work. Here is the issue: somehow Google Voicel is completely bypassed and the caller is sent to your Verizon voicemail. So if you think, “hey dammit, I HAVE cleared all my voicemails on google and none remain, what’s the deal man?” then you technically do have a new voicemail pending your listening.
Let’s fix this:
- log into google voice on a computer
- find the settings page and locate your phone
- hit “Deactivate Google Voicemail for this phone” (this snapshot shows activate, but it’s in the same place)
- save your settings
- on your Droid goto: Settings => Call Settings => Voicemail Service. You should see only your carrier listed here. Select it.
- Then hit Voicemail Settings and enter *86 as the voicemail number.
- Give it a few moments, then call you voicemail and clear out your messages.
I won’t bother showing you how to turn Google Voice back on. I haven’t done it but I assume it’s the reverse procedure.